ABC7's Emmy award-winning public affairs show, "Beyond the Headlines," provides in-depth coverage of the topics and issues facing the people of the Bay Area. Throughout the year, "Beyond the Headlines" airs half-hour specials on issues, ranging from Bay Area housing to same-sex marriage.
BEYOND THE HEADLINES
June 27, 2010
Hosted by ABC7's Kristen Sze
This week's show looks at our Asian American community. We invited four Bay Area leaders representing various fields, to talk about being Asian American today, and the opportunities and challenges facing the community.
Let's begin with a snapshot of the population. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Census in 2000 found that:
- There are close to 12 million Asians living in the United States.
- That's 4.2% of the entire population.
- California has the largest Asian population, with 4.2 million.
- Of the nation's largest cities with a population of 100,000 or greater, the Bay Area has the highest percentage of Asians.
Topics covered include:
* Media and the Arts, Stereotypes
* Hepatitis B and Health Disparities
* Current Issues
Co-Founder and Executive Vice-President, Guitar Hero
Founder/CEO, Talent Age Associates
Assembly Member, District 12
San Francisco Public Defender